Mayor Dave Bing will be among the featured speakers at the “Boys to Men: Youth Thrust into Manhood” education forum on Saturday, Nov. 14, at Wayne County Community College Downtown Detroit Campus, 1001 W. Fort. The forum is open to the public and will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Bing will join with several other area civic and community leaders, educators and organizations to address the issues of youth violence, and what a 2008 study by the non-profit America’s Promise Alliance reports is a 25 percent graduation rate.
With a goal of making recommendations to improve the graduation rate, presentations, panel discussions and break-out sessions will be included in the forum. Other speakers include Vanguard Chairman Bishop Edgar L. Vann II, Detroit Public Schools Emergency Financial Manger Robert Bobb, and Detroit Police Chief Warren Evans.
A light lunch and continental breakfast will be served. For more information, contact Vanguard CDC at (313) 872-7831 or www.vanguardcdc.org.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)