On Monday, while responding to a 911 report of gunshots at a suspected drug house on the northeast side, Detroit Police Officer Brian Huff, a 12-year veteran, was shot and killed. According to published reports, Huff and his partner entered the house ahead of other officers who responded because those officers were less experienced. Huff’s partner and three other officers were wounded.
This marks the first time in six years a Detroit police officer has been killed in the line of duty. A 25-year-old suspect, Jason Gibson, was arrested after attempting to flee. At press time, no formal charges had been made.
Funeral services will take place 11 a.m. Saturday, May 8, at Greater Grace Temple, 23500 W. Seven Mile Road. There will be a visitation Thursday, May 6 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday, May 7 from on 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. with Family Hour between 6: p.m. to 8 p.m. at United Memorial Funeral Home, 75 Dickinson, in Mt. Clemens.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)