Category: News Briefs Published on Monday, 12 July 2010 17:56
A man was arrested in Nigeria after he was allegedly caught trying to dump several bags containing more than 70 dead babies.
According to BBC News, the suspect, who was contracted by the Lagos University Teaching Hospital to transport the dead bodies to a cemetery, stated that he could not afford the burial fees.
As a courtesy service to families who cannot afford to bury their loved ones, Lagos hospitals accept abandoned corpses and hire contractors to properly dispose of them.
Residents of Lagos along with the family victims are questioning why the hospital allowed one contractor to handle that many corpses without hospital staff supervision.
After a preliminary investigation, police also arrested some hospital employees, according to Lagos’ police spokesman, Frank Mba. The investigation is ongoing.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Mike Duggan announces official run for mayor (1)
- Detroit gears up for historic March on Woodward celebration (1)
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)