Category: News Briefs Published on Thursday, 27 December 2012 09:48 Written by WWJ
ROMULUS (WWJ) - Hundreds of flights have been cancelled, delayed or re-routed at Detroit Metro Airport because of all the snow.
As WWJ’s Ron Dewey found out, there was hardly a place to stand at McNamera Terminal Thursday morning. And the lines at the ticket counters just keep getting longer as more travellers keep piling in, including David Metichevsky and his family.
“Actually, we’ve only been in line for about 10 minutes so it looks worse than it is, surprisingly,” he said.
While only a handful of departures have been canceled on the Delta board, at least 25 arrivals were scratched from the Ohio Valley and the northeast, where the snowfall is even more massive.
Even with the wait, some travelers are just happy to be leaving the snow behind, like Pierre Angelo and Angela Dutenney of Leamington, Ontario who are on their way to Miami. Dutenney said they knew the snow was coming, so they planned ahead and drove into town to stay overnight at an airport hotel before flying to Florida.
“It took us about two hours, which normally on a regular day we could be here in an hour. So it was double the time, but now we’re ready to get away to the sun,” she said.
At least 100 flights were cancelled or rerouted from Detroit Metro Airport and at least 240 others were delayed by an hour or more Wednesday.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)