Category: News Briefs Published on Thursday, 12 August 2010 17:45
Elias Abuelazam, 33, a suspect in the string of attacks in three states appeared in an Atlanta court this morning.
According to the Washington Post, police apprehended Abuelazam, a Christian Arab, on Wednesday at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport where he was waiting to board a Delta flight to his native home in Tel Aviv, Israel after they received an anonymous tip.
Charged with attempted murder in connection with the July 27 stabbing in Flint, Michigan, Judge Richard Hicks informed Abuelazam that more charges were expected to be brought against him. The judge also explained that Abuelazam would have to return to Michigan if he wanted to fight the charges, to which he agreed.
Since late May, authorities allege that Abuelazam has randomly stabbed and attacked 18 men, including the five fatal deaths and nine stabbings in Flint, Michigan; the two stabbings in Virginia, including the one bludgeoned to death with a hammer last week; and the fatal stabbing outside of a Toledo church on Saturday.
Sixteen of the victims were black, one Hispanic and one white man.
Photo Credit: Erik S. Lesser/EPA
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (1)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)
- Charlie Murphy headlines grand opening of The Comedy Zone (1)
- Gordy explains Ross relationship (3)