Category: News Briefs Published on Monday, 28 January 2013 08:00 Written by thehuffingtonpost
A movie based on his musical career, "Searching For Sugar Man," is nominated for a Best Documentary Oscar, and he's just been announced on the lineup for California's massive Coachella Music Festival. Not a bad year for Detroit singer/songwriter Rodriguez.
Rodriguez, once a star in South Africa who lived for decades in relative obscurity in Detroit, will play on the third day of the Indio, Calif. concert series. In other Michigan connections, Detroit rapper Danny Brown will perform on the second day after appearing briefly at last year's festival when rapper Childish Gambino brought him on stage. Brown has received more and more acclaim in the last year.
And there's the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who have been named as headliners for the Sunday shows -- drummer Chad Smith hails from a Detroit suburb. But while Motor City music lovers might be pleased by the additions of local talent, there's many more who are disappointed with the lineup.
The Coachella Festival's lineup will perform over two weekends, April 12 to 14 and April 19 to 21. Also headlining the festival are Blur, Phoenix and The Stone Roses, plus the returns of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Postal Service. Look below for the full lineup and get all the details of the 2013 festival.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit gears up for historic March on Woodward celebration (1)
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)