Category: Breaking News Published on Tuesday, 19 June 2012 12:26 Written by WWJ
By Carol Cain
Fifty one leaders from Metro Detroit will be celebrated at the Michigan Chronicle’s Fifth Annual “ Men of Excellence Awards” with a gala held Thursday, June 28 in Detroit.
The newspaper will spotlight men who have inspired others through their vision and leadership, exceptional achievements, and participation in community service.
“These distinguished gentlemen are men of stature who not only have professional success to their credit but who are beacons for the African-American community throughout the region,” said Hiram Jackson, CEO of Real Times Media and interim publisher of the 76-year-old newspaper.
The leaders were chosen from hundreds of nominees and will join an influential group of previous winners including: Judge Damon Keith, NAACP Detroit President Rev. Wendell Anthony, and Joe Dumars.
The 2012 award winners hail from the worlds of business, education, politics and more.
Among those being celebrated: Ken Harris (Black Chamber of Commerce), DeAndre Lipscomb (HAP), Patrick Aquart (City of Detroit), Gerald Johnson (GM), Justin Byrd (Chrysler) , Philip Calhoun (Ford) .
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit Begins A New Chapter as Detroit Bankruptcy is Allowed to Proceed (1)
- Joyce Hayes Giles retires after 35 years with DTE (2)
- Sarah Palin accuses Obama of Libya ‘shuck and jive’ (1)
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)