Category: Breaking News Published on Wednesday, 24 October 2012 13:55 Written by thegrio
Former Alaska governor raised eyebrows today with what some would argue was a racially insensitive tweet at President Barack Obama’s expense.
While reacting to the latest revelations on the embassy attack in Benghazi, and the Obama administration’s reaction to it, the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee tweeted: “Obama’s Shuck and Jive ends with Bengazi Lies.”
The phrase “shuck and jive” is fraught with unflattering racial overtones as far as many African-Americans are concerned.
Back in January 2008, Democrat Andrew Cuomo, who was then a Hillary Clinton supporter and New York’s Attorney General, got into hot water after using the same turn of phrase while criticizing candidate Obama.
”It’s not a TV-crazed race. Frankly you can’t buy your way into it,” Cuomo said. “You can’t shuck and jive at a press conference,” he added. “All those moves you can make with the press don’t work when you’re in someone’s living room.”
Cuomo later walked back his remark, saying he meant to say “bob and weave.”
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Duggan Court of Appeals Decision (1)
- Medical Marijuana Illinois: Veto Session Could Make Legal Weed A Reality (1)
- President Obama Hosts Father’s Day Luncheon At White House (1)
- Democrat: IRS Manager Denies Targeting Of Conservative Groups (1)
- Detroit Area Has Strong Legacy With African American Dealers (1)