Category: Breaking News Published on Friday, 26 October 2012 14:19 Written by WWJ
DETROIT (WWJ) - The Detroit teen who pleaded guilty to murdering his mother as she slept last February has been sentenced to 25 to 50 years in prison.
Joshua Smith, 14, was tried as an adult in the death of his mother, 36-year-old Tamika Andrea Robinson.
Friday, his grandmother, Annie McKenzie, asked the court for leniency.
“I lost a daughter — now I’m losing a grandson as well,” McKenzie said, through tears. “I would like to ask the court to have mercy on him. He was a good boy, I don’t know what happened that night … That was not the Joshua that I know and love.”
McKenzie said she wants her grandson to know she still loves him, supports him and has forgiven him.
Joshua told police he was tired of being called names. His uncle said Joshua was a good kid who just wanted to hang out and have fun with friends and was tired of helping to care for his mother who was ill.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Bamboozled: Breast Mutilation as Preventive Care? (1)
- Mike Duggan announces official run for mayor (1)
- Detroit gears up for historic March on Woodward celebration (1)
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)