Category: Breaking News Published on Thursday, 29 November 2012 13:54 Written by The Grio
NBC New York – A tourist’s snapshot of an NYPD officer giving new boots to a barefoot homeless man in Times Square has become an online sensation.
Jennifer Foster, a tourist from Florence, Ariz., took a cellphone picture of Officer Larry DePrimo giving the man the all-weather boots and socks on a frigid night in Times Square on Nov. 14.
The image was posted on the NYPD’s Facebook page and became an instant hit. More than 325,000 users “liked” his generosity as of Thursday morning.
DePrimo, 25, told The New York Times that it was freezing that night and he could see blisters on the man’s feet.
“I had two pairs of socks and I was still cold,” he told the Times.
As they began talking, the officer learned the man’s shoe size was 12. He went into a nearby Sketchers shoe store and bought a pair of $100 boots for a little over $75, after the store gave a discount.
Click here to read more.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)