- Berry Gordy: The man, the music, the legacy, from Chronicle paperboy to international music mogul - 2013-12-05
- Metro Detroit's Top Leaders And Newsmakers Join For Annual Legacy In Motion Gala - 2013-11-26
- Generation Next: Michigan Chronicle Celebrates 40 under 40 - 2013-10-23
- Chronicle Editor Bankole Thompson Panelist On Mayoral Debate Panel - 2013-10-07
- Michigan’s Health Insurance Marketplace Opens Today! - 2013-10-01
Page 6 of 49
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
DETROIT JAZZ FESTIVAL
For the seven years that Cornell Batie has been with the Detroit Jazz Festival, he has advanced from managing artist payments to developing and managing the organization’s entire financial system. Assuming the role of Chief Financial Officer, Batie established extensive internal accounting controls placing the Festival in a positive financial position for continued growth. He has nurtured banking relationships and led an IT system implementation resulting in a 25% savings. Adding Executive Vice President to his responsibilities, Batie helps cultivate relationships with community stakeholders and constituents.
Founder of the Balancing Act Company, personal fitness training and ballroom dance classes are taught throughout metro Detroit with proceeds benefitting the Underground Railroad Educational Fund. Batie has worked with the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity to teach young people social skills through ballroom dancing. He has facilitated workshops that promote literacy in accounting principles and is a board member of the Arts League of Michigan and the Gretchen C. Valade Endowment for the Arts Foundation.
Batie is the proud father of a 14-year old son, Sydney, entering Cass Technical High School in the fall with a 4.0 grade point.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit Begins A New Chapter as Detroit Bankruptcy is Allowed to Proceed (1)
- Joyce Hayes Giles retires after 35 years with DTE (2)
- Sarah Palin accuses Obama of Libya ‘shuck and jive’ (1)
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)