- Dara Munson, President and CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit, to be Recognized by Eastern Michigan University - 2013-07-24
- Black Alumni Weekend 2013 - 2013-07-17
- EMU president cites university's strong efforts at tuition restraint - 2013-03-13
- Special art exhibition at EMU University Gallery: ‘Subverting Modernism: Cass Corridor Revisited’ - 2013-03-08
- Who’s Who In Black Detroit Harvey Industries CEO has always been ‘entrepreneurially driven’ - 2013-03-04
Dara Munson, President and CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit, is being honored as the Eastern Michigan University Black Alumni Association, 2013 Distinguished Alumna of the Year, an accolade bestowed on alumni who have demonstrated leadership and civic excellence through their professional and community involvement.
Recently appointed to the Eastern Michigan University Board Foundation Board of Trustees, Dara is a seasoned nonprofit executive whose career has focused on the needs of at-risk children. Dara is passionate about serving youth and lives her passion through her professional endeavors and civic projects. She has been a mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters since 2005.She is a past member of the State of Michigan Board of Social Work and served on the board of directors for Alternative for Girls. Other civic memberships include the Michigan Women's Foundation, The Hospice of Michigan, S.E. Michigan Regional Advisory Board and the Open Arms Grieving Children's Program. 2010 Michigan Chronicle Woman of Excellence and a recipient of the 2010 Eastern Michigan University Alumni Association Achievement Award, Dara was a 2009 honoree of Crain's Detroit Business 40 Under 40.
"Dara continues to embody the definition of true leadership and provokes positive change in the lives of youth in Metropolitan Detroit," shared Dale Kirk, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit Board Chairman. "We are proud of the hard work and dedication she displays and congratulate her on this tremendous honor from EMU."
Each year the members of the EMU Black Alumni Association nominate and vote for a Distinguished Alumna/nus to be recognized and honored. Dara will receive her Distinguished Alumna award at the 4th Annual Evening of Elegance, hosted by the Southeast Michigan Coalition of Alumni Associations (SEMCAA); the presiding event of the 2013 Black Alumni Weekend in Detroit, beginning July 26th. The collaborative effort of the alumni associations from Eastern Michigan University, the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University and Western Michigan University will offer a host of engaging, reminiscent, and exciting activities and events for African-American alumni from SEMCAA universities.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Joyce Hayes Giles retires after 35 years with DTE (1)
- Sarah Palin accuses Obama of Libya ‘shuck and jive’ (1)
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)