- Wynton Marsalis Spiritual Collection - 2013-10-22
- Jazz Legend George Duke Dies at 67 - 2013-08-06
- Frank Ocean Drops Chris Brown Diss Record, Calls His Music ‘Sloppy’ - 2013-07-26
- Celebrate the Roots of the Jazz Era at Greenfield Village’s Ragtime Street Fair July 13-14, 2013 - 2013-07-09
- Jazzed Up: Detroit Jazz Festival - 2013-05-28
SALSA, MUSIC & MANSIONS: Palmer Woods Afro Cuban Jazz, May 25 Jazz, Classical, World Music & a Splash of R & B, June 21-22
Category: Community - Original Published on Tuesday, 21 May 2013 15:10 Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
Page 1 of 3
The paradisal spring gardens behind a stately Palmer Woods Mansion will be swaying with the hot rhythms of Orquesta La Inspiracion's horns, percussion and vocals for the upcoming Palmer Woods Music in Homes concert on Saturday, May 25 at 8 pm. A delicious Mexican feast will be served during intermission, and the main floor of the home will be open for a tour prior to the concert.
Orquesta La Inspiracion is led by award-winning jazz pianist and music director Bill Meyer. Bringing together veterans of Detroit’s Latin and jazz scenes, his ear respects and his hand reveals these distinct traditions to produce authentic music derived from the Spanish-speaking Caribbean. Meyer’s new musical structures also include elements of Yoruban, Congolese, and Dahomean traditions.
This is a concert where the audience is encouraged to not keep still. Propelled by the rhythms and tones of Afro-Cuban pop and salsa, those within earshot instantly become part of the unique Latin pulse and are often up on their feet dancing.
The Palmer Woods Music in Homes series presents outstanding live music set in the magnificent homes of one of the City of Detroit’s most beautiful and historic neighborhoods. The 2012-2013 season launched in December, followed by a jazz, classical or world music concert each month in a different magnificent home. The spring-summer concerts are held in beautiful gardens, shelter by a spacious tent.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)