- GM Foundation’s Second Annual ‘Summer in the D’ Keeps Kids Learning & Active During Summer Break - 2013-07-17
- Beyoncé faces tough criticism - 2013-07-12
- WJZZ Digital Smooth Jazz Fest concert scheduled for August 9-10 in City of Southfield postponed - 2013-07-12
- TAVIS SMILEY AND THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND ANNOUNCE $75,000 SOCIAL INNOVATION CHALLENGE - 2013-07-12
- Bestseller Approved for Michigan Film Incentives - 2013-07-10
Category: Community - Original Published on Thursday, 27 June 2013 14:59 Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
Demonstration for Healthy Families Marriage Resource Center Partners with Individuals and Companies
With over 70% of children in southeast Michigan raised without both parents, the Marriage Resource Center (MRC) has decided to respond. This community-based, non-partisan, non-denominational, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote healthy family life throughout southeast Michigan, is hosting its 4th Annual Walkathon for Marriage and Family.
Participants of the Walkathon, which will begin on the Detroit RiverWalk at 9:00 AM on the Rivard Plaza July 27, 2013, will take a five mile walk down the RiverWalk, up the Dequindre Cut and back. Walkers will include families, teens, single parents, engaged couples, long-married couples, struggling couples, and step families who desire to stand with MRC as they seek to raise funds and increase community awareness about the low to no cost resources it offers. In existence since 2004, MRC also provides services to at risk youth, ex-offenders, and those seeking substance abuse rehabilitation.
With corporate partners, the Charles H. Wright Museum, Detroit's downtown Holiday Inn Express, and the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy this fundraising event promises to provide a day of family fun for a good cause. There will be prizes for those raising the most funds, face painting for the kids, massages, and more.
Volunteer and vendor opportunities are also available.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)