- Zimmerman’s Attorneys Hit Him With $2.5 Mil Bill - 2013-12-02
- ‘12 Years a Slave:’ a harsh truth we dare not forget - 2013-12-01
- Zimmerman’s Attorneys Hit Him With $2.5 Mil Bill - 2013-11-29
- Girlfriend says Zimmerman pointed shotgun at her - 2013-11-19
- Renisha McBride and Other Black Women Need to be Defended - 2013-11-19
Category: Entertainment Published on Tuesday, 23 July 2013 10:29 Written by Skyyhook, Contributing Editor/Urban Daily
Page 2 of 2
"But I went down because if I couldn't hug my mother, I could hug Trayvon Martin's mother."
Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon Martin's mother said,
"They need to change the laws that we all know need changing, because they don't work for us. I'm still the proud mother of Trayvon Martin."
Sharpton also acknowledged the presence of Jay Z and Beyonce at the rally to which he said,
"Jay Z told me, 'I'm a father. Beyonce is a mother.' We all feel the pain and apprehension — the laws must protect everybody, or it doesn't protect anybody. We do not come from hate, we come from love of children."
This meant more to people than those two stars will ever realize and it's nice to see that they didn't want to speak or do anything besides be apart of the day. Often times celebrities forget to use their platforms for unselfish reasons it's refreshing to hear that today wasn't one of those days.
It was also touching to hear the story of Al Sharpton getting on that plane to go hug Sybrina Fulton. Even more touching was hearing the words from Sybrina Fulton herself. We are proud to see this woman and Trayvon's father Tracy lead the way forward. They have been grace under pressure and calm in a sea of torment, rage and anger within this nation. This is only part of the reason we all respect them so much. They gave us all their son and his memory. It is up to the rest of us to make sure it was not in vein.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)