- You Can’t Sit With Us: See Which Celebs Crashed NYFW’s Front Row - 2013-09-08
- Did You Know ... - 2013-07-06
- Will and Jada: Lengthy marriage, yes, open marriage, no - 2013-05-16
- Jada Pinkett calls for white women to grace covers of black magazines - 2013-03-21
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Learning to Love Will's Ex - 2013-02-21
Category: Entertainment Published on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 10:58 Written by Ruth Manuel-Logan/Newsone
Page 2 of 2
The school, which opened its doors back in 2008, was reportedly funded by the Smiths to the tune of millions of dollars. Allegedly, Will and Jada founded the academy in order to educate young children using the Study Tech Curriculum method of teaching, which was reportedly devised by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.
When word began to circulate among the parents of the children who attended the school, though, that the institution was being used as a front for Scientology teachings, many were reportedly outraged.
According to an unnamed source who spoke with Star Magazine in their upcoming August 5th edition, the power couple — and their ties to the school — were not enough to keep the academy's doors open, so it closed on June 28th, "Will and Jada put millions in to it [the school]. But there's a lot more to a school than money – if people don't agree with the teaching material, then all the money in the world won't save it."
Will and Jada's children reportedly also attended the academy, but the celebs have denied that they are followers of the highly controversial Scientology. The pair have also denied that the private academy had any religious affiliation.
So far, neither Will nor Jada has commented on the school's closing, but there is alleged talk of parental lawsuits stemming from the school's teachings.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit Begins A New Chapter as Detroit Bankruptcy is Allowed to Proceed (1)
- Joyce Hayes Giles retires after 35 years with DTE (2)
- Sarah Palin accuses Obama of Libya ‘shuck and jive’ (1)
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)