“I know a great recipe when I see it and this book is full of them,” said superstar and super cook Patti LaBelle. “B. Smith has really captured the heart of delicious, yet healthy, southern cooking.”
An endorsement like that would be hard to beat.
LaBelle was referring to “B. Smith Cooks Southern-Style,” published by Scribner and in stores Nov. 3.
Interestingly, B. Smith (the “B.” stands for Barbara, by the way) is not from the South. She is actually from Pennsylvania, but her family has strong southern roots. She current lives in New York City and Sag Harbor, New York.
With the book it was her intention to bring a northern touch to traditional southern recipes.
Readers will have an opportunity to learn how to prepare, among many other things, Sweet Chili-Spiced Chicken Wings, Ham Steak with Red Eye Gravy, Root Beer Barbecue Pulled Pork, Fried Green Tomatoes with Roasted Pepper Aioli, Red Velvet Cake Roll with Peanut Butter Frosting, and we can’t neglect to mention the five different things that can be done with grits.
B. Smith is a television host, restaurateur, author and entrepreneur, also known for gracious entertaining in her home. In 1999 she hosted “B. Smith With Style” that aired around the world.
Smith started her career as a fashion model, appearing on the covers of more than 15 magazines.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)
- Charlie Murphy headlines grand opening of The Comedy Zone (1)