- New procedure promises to permanently change your eye color - 2013-04-12
- Governor Snyder green lights rapid bus line - 2013-04-12
- New plan announced for Detroit public schools - 2013-04-12
- Michelle Obama takes violence in Chicago 'personal' - 2013-04-11
- Wayne County judge asks Michigan court to reject suspension recommendation - 2013-04-11
Category: Entertainment Published on Tuesday, 23 October 2012 16:24 Written by Huffington Post
James Cameron might be getting out of the "'Avatar' business."
According to THR, Cameron has grabbed the rights to Taylor Stevens' "The Informationist," a novel about female "information dealer" with a shady past who heads to Africa to look for the kidnapped daughter of a billionaire. As THR notes, the novel's protagonist, Vanessa “Michael” Munroe, has been compared to Lisbeth Salander from "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." The idea is that Cameron will produce and direct the film.
“Taylor Stevens’ Vanessa Michael Munroe is an intriguing and compelling heroine with an agile mind and a thirst for adventure," Cameron said in a press release. "Equally fascinating for me is her emotional life and her unexpected love story. I'm looking forwarding to bringing Vanessa and her world to the big screen.”
Of course, that's slightly different than what Cameron said earlier this year. The director told the New York Times that he was done making movies that weren't set on Pandora.
"Last year, I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm," he said in May. "So I’m not interested in developing anything. I'm in the 'Avatar' business. Period. That's it. I'm making 'Avatar 2,' 'Avatar 3,' maybe 'Avatar 4,' and I'm not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I'm not interested in taking scripts."
Cameron is supposed to direct "The Informationist" after the "Avatar" sequels, meaning it could be a while; "Avatar 2" might not arrive in theaters until 2015 at the earlier, and he's also talked about making a prequel film after "Avatar 3." As Movies.com editor Erik Davis joked on Twitter, Cameron might have to direct "The Informationist" in 2022.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)