- Obama Signs Student Loan Deal - 2013-08-10
- Obama Pushes Bipartisan Student Loan Deal: A Win For Students - 2013-07-24
- I'll Marry You If I Have Money - 2013-07-19
- Top 15 Sugar Baby Alma Maters - 2013-04-30
- Members of Congress and Student Groups Highlight 1 Year Anniversary of Student Loan Debt - 2013-04-24
Page 1 of 2
The changes will ease the burden on people who are disabled and are trying to get a total and permanent disability (TPD) discharge of student loans.
The new regulations, which went into effect July first, make it easier for people to prove they're disabled. Instead of having to go through several doctor's certifications, which can take months, they can just use their state disability status. If they're already on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Social Security income (SSI) benefits they can submit their Social Security Disability (SSA) notice of award – if it includes that their next review is in five to seven years which means they're considered permanently disabled.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!