1. Dance Fever October 10th at 7pm The Ann Arbor District Library is hosting “Street Dance Demo: Locking, Popping & Hip Hop,” a dance demonstration with award-winning artist and dancer Jade Zuberi. The library is located at 343 S. Fifth Ave. Doors open at 7pm. Call 734.327.4555
2. New Providence Baptist Church, 12th Bi-Annual Free Clothing and Shoes Giveaway. The giveaway will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2012 from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Do you have excess items that you don't want to throw away, but giveaway to those who are in need? Are you moving? Downsizing? Or need a tax write off? In addition, New Providence invites churches, local community groups and businesses to partner with us. Do you offer free or low cost mental, dental, medical, employment, substance abuse, transition housing, senior services, foreclosure, utility assistance programs, etc. We will distribute your information to the first 2,000 participants who attend the October 13, 2012 giveaway.
3. Praise 102.7 Presents: The Kings Men October 12, 7:30pm-11pm at the Fox Theatre Starring Donnie McClurkin, Marvin Sapp, Israel Houghton, and Kirk Franklin
4. Fifty States of Grey October 12 at 8pm Go Comedy! In Ferndale has debuted a hilarious new comedy improv show highlighting the political strife that exists in our country. 50 States of Grey takes a satirical look at the state of our Nation, and tries its best to whip it into shape. The show is now playing on Thursday and Friday nights at 8 pm. Tickets for the show are $10. For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit www.gocomedy.net
5. Giant Lego Expo October 12-14, Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi The LEGO Kids Fest tour makes a stop in Novi for this Giant LEGO Expo. This event offers LEGO lovers an exciting, interactive, experience packed with fun activities for the entire family. COST $20/adults, $18/ages 3-17, free/ages 2 and under Suburban Showplace Collection 46100 Grand River Ave. Novi, MI
6. Ballet Magnificent Performance October 12 from 7pm-9pm Zion Christian Church in Troy Professional international dance company Ballet Magnificent will perform their new production The Hiding Place for the public at Zion Christian Church. This event is not recommended for children under 6 years of age. Set in the World War II war zone of Dutch Haarlem in 1944, The Hiding Place is a portrayal of forgiveness in the midst of desperate and unimaginable circumstances. Ballet Magnificat’s Omega dance troupe portrays the struggle of the ten Boom sisters. The sisters help their Jewish neighbors and friends find security in a small hiding place built in the wall of their home, only to be discovered and transported to the concentration camp of Ravensbrück. COST $5 Zion Christian Church 3668 Livernois Road Troy, MI
7. The Mousetrap October 12 @8pm & 13 @2pm & 8pm Hilberry Theatre in Detroit The world's longest-running play, this Agatha Christie classic is about a group of travelers snowed-in at Monkswell Manor. One by one, they meet their fates, leaving survivors pitted against each other. Show times are as follows: COST $20-$30 Hilberry Theatre, Wayne State University 4743 Cass Ave. Detroit, MI
8. Zoo Boo October 12-14 @6pm Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak The Detroit Zoo hosts this annual event, which lets little ones trick-or-treat along a half-mile trail – with dressed characters handing out goodies. $7/ages 2-plus (advance), $10/at gate The Detroit Zoo 8450 W. 10 Mile Road Royal Oak, MI
9. ART. WRITE. NOW Tour October 12-14 College for Creative Studies in Detroit Where will we find the next great talent? Chances are their work can be found in a traveling exhibit, making its first stop in Detroit, to honor the 2012 winners of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The program is the nation’s most prestigious educational initiative supporting student achievement in the visual and literary arts, with a 90-year legacy of being the first to recognize the creative talent in teens such as Robert Redford, Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, Ken Burns, and Zac Posen. The ART. WRITE. NOW exhibition features 130 pieces of stunning art and writing from students, grades 7-12. Times are as follows: Monday-Friday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday: noon-5 p.m. COST Free College for Creative Studies, Valade Family Galler 460 W. Baltimore Ave. Detroit, MI
10. Once Upon a Time: Grimmly Inspired Exhibit October 12-14 from 10am -5pm Edsel and Eleanor Ford House in Grosse Pointe Shores This exhibit features original works of art created by local professional artists and emerging student artists. Their fantastical interpretation of select Grimm stories will be displayed in an area transformed into multi-sensory spaces: an enchanted forest, a candy house and outside the castle walls. You will literally walk into the story! COST $8-$12 Edsel & Eleanor Ford House 1100 Lake Shore Road Grosse Pointe Shores, MI PHONE 313-884-4222
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!