Weekend 10: November 9-11
1. 11/10 Detroit Zoo Salvation Army Drive from 10a-3p Detroit Zoo 8450 W. 10 Mile Rd Royal Oak, MI The Detroit Zoological Society and The Salvation Army will conduct a donation drive to collect clothing and household goods during two consecutive weekends in November at the Detroit Zoo. The donation drive will take place on November 3-4 and November 10-11 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Donors can drop off used but usable clothing and household goods at The Salvation Army truck in the Zoo’s front parking lot beneath the landmark water tower. A tax receipt will be available upon request at the time of donation. Contributions to the drive can be made without entering the Zoo; however, regular admission and parking fees apply for those visiting the Zoo. Donations to The Salvation Army’s Thrift Stores generate total funding for the organization’s Southeast Michigan Adult Rehabilitation Center’s 180-day residential rehabilitation program for adults. The program provides food, shelter, education and counseling services to those re-establishing their lives free from alcohol and chemical dependencies. For more information, visit www.SalArmyThrift.com or call (866) GIVE-TOO.
2. 11/9-11 Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey Circus Don’t miss the chance to see the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus at the Palace of Auburn Hills from November 7-11, 2012. The entertaining circus will take place Wednesday and Thursday at 7:30 pm, Friday at 11 am and 7:30 pm, Saturday at 11:30 am, 3:30 pm, 7:30 pm, and then on Sunday at 1 pm and 5 pm. Tickets to the show range from $14-$22. For more information and to purchase tickets visit www.palacenet.com.
3. 11/10 Fabulous Holiday Party Plan Cooking Class at Schoolcraft College This is the year you invite everyone to your house for the holidays. Entertain with confidence and ease and learn to prepare exciting holiday dishes including dazzling platters, hot foods, appetizers and sophisticated sweets. Discover how to set a holiday table with flair. Come hungry. We’ll enjoy samplings of every recipe demonstrated. Saturday, November 10 9 am-1 pm Cost $109 go online to http://www.schoolcraft.edu for more information.
4. 11/10 Julius Caesar at the Detroit Opera House at 7:30p Go online to http://housedetroit.org/Events for more information
5. 11/9-11 Rodeo at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Times vary. Go online to www.dso.org for more information
6. 11/10 Family Matters Outreach Prayer Brunch at the St. George Cultural Center Bloomfield Hills, MI 10a-12p Family Matters Outreach is a non-profit organization whose goal is to assist families dealing with child custody cases. 100% of the proceeds will go to help these families. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Call (248) 850-6854 and ask for Shirley Riley.
7. 11/9 Promusica: Ray Chen, violinist at Detroit Symphony Orchestra at 8:30pm Go online to www.dso.org for ticketing information
8. Ordinary Days at Tipping Point Northville Theater From the bustling streets and subways to the quiet rooftops, Ordinary Days tells the interwoven story of four New Yorkers on a desperate search for their futures. Warren, an idealistic aspiring artist and professional cat-sitter, finds a notebook belonging to Deb, a stressed-out graduate student frantically working on her dissertation on Virginia Woolf. Jason and Claire are a couple navigating the rough terrain of their serious relationship and are wondering if moving in together has begun to push them apart. Although the two couples never meet, they alter each other’s lives in this bittersweet musical centered around the city that never sleeps. Adam Gwon’s score of vibrant music and crisp, fluid, often funny lyrics reflect the racing minds of the four characters as they try to appreciate the beauty found in an ordinary day. Times vary. Go online for ticketing information www.tippingpointtheater.com
9. 11/9-11 Fela: The Man, The Movement, The Music Exhibit at the Charles H. Wright Museum Created in partnership with Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts to prelude the arrival of the Broadway smash musical, Fela!, to Music Hall in February, 2012, this exhibition celebrates the life and music of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, a dynamic figure who transcended the boundaries of political expectation and culturally coerced standards of morality. Museum times are as follows: Tuesday-Saturday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday: 1-5 p.m. COST Free with museum admission: $8/adults, $5/kids, Free/members and kids under age LOCATION Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History 315 E. Warren Ave. Go online to www.thewright.org
10. 11/9-11 LEGO Architecture Towering Ambition Exhibit at Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Kids will love looking up and marveling at re-creations of 13 famous landmarks – using nothing but LEGOs! Certified pro Adam Reed Tucker brings his amazing models to Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, including: Fallingwater, 7 South Dearborn, Chicago Spire, John Hancock Center, Marina City, Willis Tower, Trump Tower, Burj Khalifa, Empire State Building, St. Louis Arch, TransAmerica Building, Jin Mao Tower and one of the World Trade Center towers. Don't miss cool events like the LEGO train (9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, Nov. 20-Jan. 6), a Duplo and Soft LEGO play area for 1- to 5-year-olds (9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, all dates), free Learn to Build Saturdays for ages 10-plus (10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, Dec. 1-29) and a Double Dare-style brick challenge (11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturdays, Jan. 5-26). Note: Closed Thursday, Nov. 22 (Thanksgiving Day) and Tuesday, Dec. 25 (Christmas Day). COST $17/ages 13-61, $12.50/ages 5-12, $15/seniors, free/ages 4 and under LOCATION Henry Ford Museum 20900 Oakwood Blvd. Dearborn, MI Go online to www.thehenryford.org/lego
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Bamboozled: Breast Mutilation as Preventive Care? (1)
- Mike Duggan announces official run for mayor (1)
- Detroit gears up for historic March on Woodward celebration (1)
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)