Category: Community - Original Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
Wireless leaders unite for ‘It Can Wait’ campaign to curb texting while driving
AT&T’s It Can Wait® campaign to end texting and driving was significantly bolstered last week by the commitment of Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile US, Inc. and more than 200 other organizations to join the movement.
Their efforts will support a new national advertising campaign, a nationwide texting-while-driving simulator tour, retail presence in tens of thousands of stores, and outreach to millions of consumers with a special focus throughout the summer months between Memorial Day and Labor Day,known as the 100 Deadliest Days on the roads for teen drivers.
The 2013 campaign drive will culminate on Sept. 19, when efforts turn towards encouraging everyone to get out in their community and advocate involvement on behalf of the movement.
“Texting while driving is a deadly habit that makes you 23 times more likely to be involved in a crash,” said Randall Stephenson, AT&T chairman and CEO. “Awareness of the dangers of texting and driving has increased, but people are still doing it. With this expanded effort, we hope to change this behavior. Together we can help save lives.”
“The It Can Wait campaign is a meaningful way for Verizon to continue its work on this important issue,” said Dan Mead, Verizon Wireless president and chief executive officer. “Texting and driving is a serious social challenge and we look forward to partnering with leading organizations and experts around the world to answer it.”
“As a longstanding advocate of keeping wireless consumers focused on driving, Sprint is proud to participate in the ‘It Can Wait’ campaign,” said Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO. “Sprint will continue to promote education of responsible driving behavior through our sponsorship events, social media channels and thousands of retail stores nationwide.”
“Mobile technology connects us in many cool ways, but adults and teens need to put it on hold while behind the wheel,” said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile US, Inc. “Knowing the risks is not enough. By simply putting the phone down, thousands of tragedies can be prevented every year. It’s time to end texting while driving — for good.”
The campaign kicked off May 20 with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile bringing a multimillion dollar, co-branded advertising campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of texting and driving, and encouraging everyone to immediately take the pledge against it at www.itcanwait.com.
The campaign will focus on the stories of people who are living with the consequences of texting while driving. Their stories will be told through various media including TV, radio, digital and social. The first story in the campaign focuses on Xzavier Davis-Bilbo, who in 2010 at the age of five, was struck while crossing the street by a young woman texting while driving, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.
Texting while driving is an epidemic, and it’s not isolated to teen drivers. It affects adults as well. A recent AT&T survey shows business commuters know that texting while driving is unsafe, but they still engage in this behavior.
• They are texting and driving more than they used to.
• Six in 10 commuters said they never texted while driving three years ago.
• Nearly half of commuters admit to texting while driving, which is more than teens.
• Forty-nine percent of commuters self-report texting while driving, compared to 43 percent of teens.
98Ninety-eight percent said sending a text or email while driving isn’t safe, but for many it has become a habit. More than 40 percent of those who admitted to texting while driving called it a habit.
USAA will collaborate with AT&T to take the It Can Wait texting-while-driving simulator tour to new audiences, driving the total number of planned simulator events to more than 400 this year. USAA and AT&T will share the It Can Wait message with military audiences in a tour to more than 10 military installations and events across the country.
With prominent presence in AT&T, Verizon, Walmart, Sprint, T-Mobile, Best Buy and Radio Shack stores, the It Can Wait message will be in tens of thousands of retail locations throughout the summer campaign period.
Also, government agencies, including the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and National Transportation Safety Board, have all committed to help end distracted driving and support the efforts of It Can Wait and others who are working to raise awareness.
Throughout the campaign, It Can Wait advocates will take the message to their customers, employees and stakeholders in a variety of ways:
Clear Channel Media and Entertainment will share the It Can Wait message on more than 500 of its radio stations across the nation and plans to activate at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, a two day, star-studded event that takes place in September.
DriveTime will feature It Can Wait messaging in communications to its employees and customers in their 100+ used car dealerships across the country.
Goodyear will incorporate the It Can Wait messaging into its high-resolution aerial sign on its three iconic blimps. The messaging will be displayed as the blimps travel the country and visit high-profile sporting events throughout the year.
Mobile device makers Pantech, HTC and Samsung are including the AT&T DriveMode® no-texting-while-driving mobile app preloaded on phones for AT&T customers.
Balfour is sharing It Can Wait messaging in class meetings with the goal of reaching one million students this school year.
The National Organizations for Youth Safety is engaging a minimum of 250 schools for Sept. 19 activities.
The City of Houston has launched an “It Can Wait, Houston” campaign to inform its citizens of the dangers of texting while driving.
The Texas Department of Transportation has included It Can Wait in its “Talk. Text. Crash.” campaign and on digital highway signs.
SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) has created a speakers bureau in which youth devoted to ending texting while driving take the message to community events, school assemblies and media interviews to bring the issue to life through teen voices.
Social media have been major drivers of the It Can Wait movement, which has inspired more than 1.5 million personal commitments never to text and drive through pledges made at ItCanWait.com, on Facebook, through text-to-pledge and tweet-to-pledge, and at events. In the past year, more than 310 million unique user accounts have been reached through Facebook, Twitter and YouTube alone.
Beginning May 26 and continuing through the 100 Deadliest Days for Teen Drivers ending Sept. 3, It Can Wait advocates will contribute to a social media campaign, delivering daily reasons why texting and driving can wait. The messages with pictures and personal accounts will be shared on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and ItCanWait.com.
The highlight of the summer campaign will be a National Day of Action on Sept. 19. On that day, It Can Wait advocates will reach out in their communities to raise awareness of the risks of texting while driving, encourage everyone to make a personal commitment not to text and drive. and recruit others to join the growing ranks of advocates dedicated to saving lives by ending texting while driving.
To take the pledge and see a list of supporters, visit www.ItCanWait.com. For additional information and resources, visit www.att.com/itcanwait.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 14:39
Category: Community - Original Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
Registration is open for community groups, block clubs, churches and businesses to be part of the seventh annual ARISE Detroit! Neighborhoods Day, which will be held Saturday, Aug. 3, in neighborhoods throughout Detroit.
The day is a spectacular demonstration of community pride with more than 100 community service and improvement projects and celebratory events in more than 100 neighborhoods.
Last year, some 200 events were held on ARISE Detroit! Neighborhoods Day, stretching from the riverfront to Eight Mile Road. Hundreds of organizations and thousands of volunteers participated.
The idea behind the event is to create an opportunity to showcase the pride and spirit of neighborhoods and forge relationships that can help improve the quality of life for city residents going forward. Groups can register at www.arisedetroit.org or phone 313-921-1955.
In exchange for a $50 registration fee, groups will receive a custom made banner promoting their event, t-shirts, a resource toolkit of information on community services and inclusion in the marketing and promotion of Neighborhoods Day. The registration deadline is July 1.
As in the past, community groups, block clubs and churches will host neighborhood clean-ups, help build new housing, host health fairs and free health screenings, parades anti-crime events, community service projects, youth concerts, school events and sign up volunteers for community programs.
Once again, ARISE Detroit! will also be partnering with Detroit Public Schools to get businesses and organizations to adopt schools for community service projects on Neighborhoods Day.
Community groups and organizations planning similar events in the month of August — not just on Aug. 3 — can have their events also promoted and marketed as part of the Neighborhoods Day observance if they pay the registration fee. All events will be posted online at www.arisedetroit.org.
Funded by the Kresge foundation and other supporters, ARISE Detroit! is a coalition of more than 400 non-profits, churches, community groups and organizations. ARISE Detroit! recruits volunteers and markets events and programs on behalf of local community groups trying to improve the quality of life in Detroit.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 14:38
Category: Community Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
DETROIT MAY 28, 2013 - Cody High School students are uniting to take back the Cody-Rouge community, and they’re starting by planting 200 trees at the park across the street from their school. YOUTH VOICE, an affiliate of the Harriet Tubman Center that organizes Detroit youth to build their own power to create change, is partnering with the students and faculty of Cody’s three schools. The groups are also partnering with the Greening of Detroit, who will be providing 200 trees.
As of February 2013, the City of Detroit has left Stein Playfield, across the street from Cody High School, abandoned and unmaintained, with no streetlights, bathrooms, running water or usable athletic facilities. On Saturday June 1, 2013 11am-3pm the Cody Rouge community will be coming together to clean up Stein Playfield, plant 200 trees and show the neighborhood that change is possible and happening.
The plan to revitalize the park is based on a design created by a group of student leaders at Cody.
“Kids shouldn’t be scared to go out and enjoy their community, it is time for a change,” said Alyssia Akers, YOUTH VOICE member. “When people see the park cleaned up, they’ll start to think differently about our community.”
WHO: Cody High School students, YOUTH VOICE, Greening of Detroit
WHAT: Take Back Cody-Rouge
WHERE: Stein Playfield, 18445 Cathedral St, Detroit, MI 48228
WHEN: June 1, 2013 11am-3pm
WHY: To take back the Cody-Rouge community from the negative cultures that have hurt the neighborhoods.
YOUTH VOICE: YOUTH VOICE is an organization of Detroit youth who build their own power to create change. Founded in 2009, YOUTH VOICE empowers local youth by organizing them to engage the political process and address community issues they decide are most important: better schools, safer and cleaner neighborhoods, efficient transportation systems, employment and recreational opportunities. YOUTH VOICE is an affiliate of the Harriet Tubman Center.
Harriet Tubman Center: The Harriet Tubman Center develops leaders and organizations that promote strong, thriving communities by bringing people together to create change in Metro Detroit and throughout Michigan. Affiliate organizations include: Metro Coalition of Congregations, Michigan Organizing Collaborative, Michigan Prophetic Voices, Taking Action por Nuestros Niños and YOUTH VOICE. Harriet Tubman Center, and its affiliates, are a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)3 organization, they do not support or oppose any political party or candidate.
For more information visit www.tubmanorganizing.org.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 14:20
Category: Community Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
(SOUTHFIELD, Mich.) – The city of Southfield was recently awarded $60,000 from an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) grant for environmental investigations of contaminated land to determine if it can be redeveloped.
The funds are part of a $600,000 EPA Assessment Grant the Oakland County Brownfield Coalition (OCBC) received to conduct investigations for contamination to clear the way for future development of brownfield sites. Farmington Hills, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Madison Heights and Pontiac also each received $60,000 with the remaining $240,000 to be distributed to other Oakland county communities.
“These grant funds will assist Southfield in identifying potential sites that can be redeveloped and put back into productive use – spurring economic growth and investment in the City,” commented Mayor Brenda Lawrence. “The program also provides attractive incentives to prospective buyers and developers by covering the cost of assessments thus reducing the risk associated with unknown environmental conditions.”
Brownfields are defined as abandoned, idle, or under-utilized industrial and commercial properties where expansion or redevelopment is complicated by real or perceived environmental contamination. Regardless of their classification, all brownfield properties face economic impediments to reuse and redevelopment.
Grant funds are used for assessment of sites believed to be contaminated by hazardous (non-petroleum) substances, including identification, profiling, inventory and prioritizing of brownfield properties.
In 2008, the City received a direct allocation of $200,000 from the EPA which was used to conduct environmental investigations at eight sites throughout the city that investors were seeking to redevelop, including: 26500 Northwestern Hwy (800-LawFirm)–completed; 30161 Southfield Road (McDonald’s)–completed; 23600 Telegraph Road (Maxitrol) –completed; 22800 W Eight Mile Road (Advanced Auto Recyclers)–rehab project currently under construction; 22100 Telegraph Road (Shaw Electric) – completed; 24541-24555 W Twelve Mile (Shops on Twelve Mile)– proposed development currently at Planning Commission; 25250 Evergreen Road & SE Adjoining Parcel (former People’s State Bank) –still in planning stage; and 20830 Rutland Drive (Adult Rehabilitation Facility)–rehab project currently under construction.
The City of Southfield Brownfield Redevelopment Authority will offer developers and investors the opportunity to access grant funds for Phase I or II environmental investigations that are required before brownfield properties can be purchased and redeveloped. The City’s Brownfield Redevelopment Authority can assist businesses in redeveloping vacant or underutilized industrial sites that may require environmental cleanup as part of Southfield’s continuing effort to address urban core industrial redevelopment.
For more information about brownfield redevelopment or other economic development opportunities in Southfield, contact Business Development Manager Rochelle Freeman at (248) 796-4161 or visit www.cityofsouthfielld.com.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 14:30
Category: Community Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
The study involves the use of an experimental medical device called NeuroPoint®, designed to deliver therapeutic electrical stimulation to regions of the brain that are believed to be involved in the abnormal pain processing and other symptoms of fibromyalgia. The stimulation signal does not “shock you,” nor does it cause any pain or discomfort. The entire process is noninvasive, meaning nothing ever pierces the skin or is taken internally.
This research study does not involve the use of any kind of medication or drug. Patients enrolled in the study will receive treatment and evaluation at an outpatient office twice a week for 12 weeks. Only 60 patients will be enrolled in the study.
Individuals between the ages of 22 and 65 who are suffering from fibromyalgia and interested in learning more about this study should call (248) 254-6480 or toll-free (800) 787-5940, or visit the website www.neuropointstudy.com.
For more information on health services offered at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, please visit stjoeshealth.org.
Pontiac, Mich.—St. Joseph Mercy Oakland’s (SJMO) Michigan Bariatric Institute (MBI) announces it still has places available for its free educational seminar focusing on bariatric surgery options to be held 6 p.m. Wednesday, June 5, 2013, in the hospital’s Franco Communications Center, 44405 Woodward Ave., Pontiac.
Entitled, “A Minimal Surgical Approach to Treating Obesity,” the seminar will feature an overview of the bariatric surgery program and the types of procedures it offers, as well as a question and answer session.
Speakers include general and bariatric surgeon and SJMO Medical Director of Bariatric Surgery Jacob Roberts, DO; and MBI Program Director and former bariatric patient Paula Magid.
In the area of Bariatric Surgery, Dr. Roberts specializes in laparoscopic (i.e., minimally invasive) surgery procedures: Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery, Adjustable Gastric Banding and Sleeve Gastrectomy. He also is interested in minimally invasive/advanced laparoscopic surgery including: Cholecystectomy, Hiatal Hernia Repair and Nissen Fundoplication, Incisional and Inguinal Hernia Repair, Splenectomy, Gastric Resections, Colectomy, Appendectomy and Anti-Reflux Surgery.
Dr. Roberts received his medical degree at the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine and was chief resident at St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Oakland Center in Madison Heights, Mich.
He completed his fellowship training at the Chicago Institute of Minimally Invasive Surgery at Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston, Ill. Dr. Roberts also is board certified in General Surgery by the American Board of Osteopathic Medicine. Dr. Roberts is on the SJMO medical staff as a general and minimally invasive bariatric surgeon. He performs surgeries at SJMO and at St. Mary Mercy Livonia, both Saint Joseph Mercy Health System member hospitals.
Surgeons at MBI are experienced in advanced laparoscopic surgical techniques, including Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and Adjustable Gastric Banding. Laparoscopic bariatric surgery results in minimal pain, less scarring, shorter hospital stay and recovery time. Weight loss of about 70 percent of excess body weight can be anticipated within the first year and maintained.
The MBI program provides a comprehensive approach to the bariatric surgery experience, including:
Team of specially trained registered nurses, registered dieticians, behavioral specialists and exercise physiologists to assist the patient through the weight reduction process
Free educational seminars
Comprehensive pre-surgical classes
Post-surgical follow-up visits
Monthly support group
The public is welcome free of charge.
To register for the educational seminar or for more information, call 877-Why-Weight (877-949-9344).
Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 11:52
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!