- Candidates Duggan and Napoleon Square off in Final Debate - 2013-10-21
- WATCH: Benny Napoleon Shares His Vision For Detroit - 2013-08-08
- Mayoral Candidate Howze Prepared To Debate Duggan - 2013-08-05
- Court Rules Mike Duggan Can Run As Write-In Candidate - 2013-07-16
- Council of Baptist Pastors join more than 300 other pastors to support Benny Napoleon for Mayor - 2013-07-11
Category: News Briefs - Original Published on Tuesday, 11 June 2013 16:26 Written by Michigan Chronicle Staff
Reports are in that Wayne County Circuit Judge Lita M. Popke sided with mayoral contender Tom Barrow, who along with Robert Davis challenged Mike Duggan's eligibility to run for Detroit Mayor. According to the Detroit City Charter, a mayoral candidate must be a resident of the Detroit at least one year prior to running for Mayor. Duggan's office has not disputed the date he moved, but the city’s filing deadline (May 14th) for candidates to make the August ballot.
In a prepared statement, Duggan had this to say:
This ruling is contrary to the opinion of every election lawyer who has looked at the case.
We're reviewing our legal options with our lawyers and will make a decision shortly on how we'll proceed.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!