- Berry Gordy: The man, the music, the legacy, from Chronicle paperboy to international music mogul - 2013-12-05
- Police Investigate Possibility Of Foul Play In Missing Michigan Teen Case - 2013-12-03
- Michigan Puts up a Fight - 2013-12-02
- 41st Annual Noel Night Dec. 7th - 2013-12-02
- Why Ohio State vs. Michigan Is the Best Rivalry in College Football - 2013-12-01
Category: News Briefs - Original Published on Tuesday, 05 March 2013 07:00 Written by Britney Spear, Regional Content Editor
You might be surprised to find that a whopping 10 percent of the globe's billionaire club lives right here and around the metro-Detroit area.
On Monday, Mar. 4 Forbes released its annual list of the "world's richest people". Over 1400 people made the list, and a dozen of them are Michigan residents.
The individuals on the list are collectively worth more than $5 trillion.
Amway founder Dick DeVos tops the list of Michiganders with an estimated worth of $5.1 billion. Not too far behind him are local icons like Detroit-based businessman Dan Gilbert, Lions owner William Clay Ford Sr., Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Maroun, and Mike and Marian Ilitch.
Who's #1 on the entire list?
Mexican telecommunications giant Carlos Helu took the top spot with a $73 billion fortune. He narrowly beat out American rival Bill Gates whose worth was estimated at $67 billion.
Click here to see the full list of Forbe's "world's richest people".
Follow Britney Spear @MissBritneySp
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!