- Native Detroit Entertainer David Alan Grier to Perform At St. John Hospital Guild Dinner - 2013-05-23
- Senate Democrats Blast Snyder Administration’s Latest Anti-Education Comments - 2013-05-23
- Television Pilot, Web Series Receive Film Incentives - 2013-05-23
- Detroit gears up for historic March on Woodward celebration - 2013-05-23
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot - 2013-05-23
Category: News Briefs - Original Published on Tuesday, 05 March 2013 07:00 Written by Britney Spear, Regional Content Editor
You might be surprised to find that a whopping 10 percent of the globe's billionaire club lives right here and around the metro-Detroit area.
On Monday, Mar. 4 Forbes released its annual list of the "world's richest people". Over 1400 people made the list, and a dozen of them are Michigan residents.
The individuals on the list are collectively worth more than $5 trillion.
Amway founder Dick DeVos tops the list of Michiganders with an estimated worth of $5.1 billion. Not too far behind him are local icons like Detroit-based businessman Dan Gilbert, Lions owner William Clay Ford Sr., Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Maroun, and Mike and Marian Ilitch.
Who's #1 on the entire list?
Mexican telecommunications giant Carlos Helu took the top spot with a $73 billion fortune. He narrowly beat out American rival Bill Gates whose worth was estimated at $67 billion.
Click here to see the full list of Forbe's "world's richest people".
Follow Britney Spear @MissBritneySp
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Bamboozled: Breast Mutilation as Preventive Care? (1)
- Mike Duggan announces official run for mayor (1)
- Detroit gears up for historic March on Woodward celebration (1)
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)