- JFK and His Legacy of Civil Rights [VIDEO] - 2013-11-17
- Maine Candidate Posts Pic Of Obama With ‘Shoot The N****’ Caption on Facebook - 2013-08-29
- Obama on 50th Anniversary of March: Because They Marched, America Changed - 2013-08-29
- A March for the Sake of a March Does Not Inspire Change - 2013-08-26
- Recapping The National Action Network’s ‘Realize The Dream’ March In DC - 2013-08-25
Voting Rights Decision Adds Urgency To The Mobilization For The 50th Anniversary Of The Historic March On Washington
Page 1 of 2
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I Have A Dream Speech resonates with renewed urgency as a national coalition prepares to observe the 50th Anniversary of the historic March on Washington. In the midst of the planning process by the new Coalition for Jobs, Justice and Freedom, the US Supreme Court has effectively struck down the heart of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The action by the court has energized the Coalition's mobilization of the 5-day commemoration of the historic 1963 March on Washington and Dr. King's historic address.
"The King Center has partnered with the legacy organizations, which helped to mobilize the original 1963 March on Washington, other civil and human rights organizations, including the National Action Network, as well as the National Park Service to develop the plans we are announcing today," said King Center C.E.O. Bernice A. King in announcing the plans for the 50th anniversary observance. Our coalition hopes to make the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and my father's famous 'I Have a Dream' speech a meaningful experience which addresses the urgent causes of jobs, justice and freedom, "Join with us in celebrating freedom – freedom to participate in government, freedom to prosper in life and freedom to peacefully co-exist."
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)