- Zimmerman’s Attorneys Hit Him With $2.5 Mil Bill - 2013-12-02
- ‘12 Years a Slave:’ a harsh truth we dare not forget - 2013-12-01
- Zimmerman’s Attorneys Hit Him With $2.5 Mil Bill - 2013-11-29
- Girlfriend says Zimmerman pointed shotgun at her - 2013-11-19
- Renisha McBride and Other Black Women Need to be Defended - 2013-11-19
Category: RTM News Reel Published on Thursday, 18 July 2013 14:00 Written by Josh Levs, CNN
Page 1 of 2
Trayvon Martin's parents spoke out Thursday for the first time since George Zimmerman was acquitted in the death of their son.
In interviews on the three network TV morning news programs, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin assailed the verdict and the Zimmerman defense team's argument that the killing was in self-defense during an attack by the unarmed teenager.
Fulton told "CBS This Morning" she was "in a bit of shock" after the verdict. "I thought surely that he would be found guilty of second-degree murder," she said.
On NBC's "Today," Fulton said the case is "sending a terrible message to other little black and brown boys -- that you can't walk fast, you can't walk slow. So what do they do? I mean, how do you get home without people knowing or either assuming that you're doing something wrong? Trayvon wasn't doing anything wrong."
Tracy Martin told CBS he wants America to know that Trayvon "was a fun-loving child."
Speaking to ABC's "Good Morning America," Martin added that he and Fulton did not find the verdict fair, "and of course it's devastating."
Juror pushes for new laws following Zimmerman trial
"My first thought was shock, disgust," said Fulton.
The parents also were asked about remarks by Juror B37, who told CNN she believes Trayvon Martin "played a huge role in his death."
"I don't think she knows Trayvon," Fulton said on CBS. "Trayvon is not a confrontational person."
On ABC, she added that she wishes the six-woman jury "had an opportunity to really know who Trayvon was and to put that in context with what their decision was."
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)