Category: RTM News Reel Published on Thursday, 18 July 2013 14:04 Written by News One
Barbara Walters asked Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, and father, Tracy Martin, about their whereabouts during the reading of the verdict. Fulton said her legal team advised against she and Mr. Martin being in the courtroom when the verdict was read because of “emotions.” Fulton and Martin both admitted that they “didn’t feel we would be able to keep quiet” had they been in the courtroom.
Both parents had already experienced difficulty keeping themselves restrained during the trial and they didn’t want any additional outbursts.
Watch Trayvon Martin’s parents speak withCBS’s Charlie Rose:
Martin said he was very hurt by the verdict and didn’t empathize with the jurors on the case. “Our child has been taken from us…the jury was unable to see the situation through the eyes of African-American parents,” Tracy said.
The Martins were asked about the protests around the country and if they are concerned about potential violence. “None of the protests are asking for vengeance,” Fulton said. “They’re saying that Trayvon is about something. This is about other young Americans, and they have rights too.”
Watch “Today Show” interview below:
Above all, Fulton and Martin stressed how importance non-violence is to not only the memory of their son, but to other American teenagers, regardless of skin color.
“I want everyone to understand that Trayvon can’t rest in peace if there are any acts of vengeance, Martin said. All we want is peace, peace, peace. It’s time for Trayvon to get some rest…our family needs to do some healing.”
The family concluded by reminding viewers that they will carry Trayvon’s legacy on. “Forget what the verdict said,” Fulton said. “We will be defining his legacy.”
When “The View” interview video becomes available, we will add it to the post.
- ^Update: Rachel Jeantel Accepts Tom Joyner’s College Scholarship (newsone.com)
- ^Bill Cosby: You Can’t Prove George Zimmerman Is Racist [VIDEO] (newsone.com)
- ^Young Black Men: Your Life Matters! (newsone.com)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)