Category: RTM News Reel Published on Wednesday, 07 August 2013 15:37 Written by News One
The Jackie Robinson statue that sits outside MCU Park in Coney Island was found defaced with racial slurs and graffiti Wednesday, according to the NY Daily News.
A park manager discovered the slurs on the statue’s base around 8:30 a.m. The messages were written in black marker and featured the statements, “Heil Hitler,” “Die N**ger,” “F**k N**ger” and “F**k Jackie Robinson.” There were also swastikas reportedly spray painted around the statue’s top.
The appalling words outraged the Brooklyn Cyclones team that plays at the park, especially given Robinson’s status as the first African-American Major League Baseball player.
“The statue is a symbol of tolerance,” said Billy Harner, director of communications for the Cyclones.
“It’s an absolute tragedy that someone would deface it the way they did.” According to Harner, the perpetrator left the scribblings shortly after a Cyclones game Tuesday evening.
While workers were able to remove the swastikas later in the morning, they’ve reportedly been unable to remove the black marker from the base. Police officials were on the scene by Wednesday afternoon and are treating the incident as a hate crime.
- ^NY Daily News (www.nydailynews.com)
- ^Teen Raps On YouTube As SWAT Team Closes In On Him (newsone.com)
- ^Celebrating Jackie Robinson: Beyond The Baseball Field (newsone.com)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit Begins A New Chapter as Detroit Bankruptcy is Allowed to Proceed (1)
- Joyce Hayes Giles retires after 35 years with DTE (2)
- Sarah Palin accuses Obama of Libya ‘shuck and jive’ (1)
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)