Category: RTM News Reel Published on Saturday, 02 November 2013 17:31 Written by News One
Olympic hurdler Lolo Jones continues to lose at Track & Field social media, this time after telling a Twitter follower that she needed a “relaxer” to portray her for Halloween.
In and of itself, that statement might not be such a bad thing, but when placed in context of her mockery of Trayvon Martin‘s friend Rachel Jeantel, a disturbing pattern of cultural insensitivity begins to emerge.
The fan, Twitter use @trackchick13, tried to justify the perceived error and others on Twitter came to her defense:
And what did Jones say in response? Did she express awareness, apology or regret?
Of course not. She created a false equivalency and insinuated that critics of her little “joke” are hypocrites:
It’s safe to say that Jones, who is already generally disliked, won’t be making new fans anytime soon.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit Begins A New Chapter as Detroit Bankruptcy is Allowed to Proceed (1)
- Joyce Hayes Giles retires after 35 years with DTE (2)
- Sarah Palin accuses Obama of Libya ‘shuck and jive’ (1)
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)