Category: RTM News Reel Published on Tuesday, 19 June 2012 11:26 Written by News One
RELATED:Rev. Jamal H. Bryant: ‘Marvin Gaye Had The Biggest Impact On My Manhood, Methodology’
Professor, author, political commentator, and television host Melissa Harris-Perry (pictured) has emerged as one of the leading young voices on political and cultural issues, especially those that affect the African-American community. Although Professor Harris-Perry has made her mark as a notable talk show guest and speaker, she now commands her own eponymously-named live MSNBC weekend program full of spirited banter and discussion.
The author of the proactive “Barbershops, Bibles, and BET: Everyday Talk and Black Political Thought” and her latest title “Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America,” sat with NewsOne to discuss how music has influenced her work as a professor of political studies at Tulane University, the balance of being a hip-hop fan and feminist, and openly shared how an iconic R&B singer inspires her. She also lets NewsOne in on her current musical obsession with R&B’s top diva.
Check out the interview with writer D.L. Chandler and Melissa Harris-Perry below:
RELATED:Rev. Al Sharpton: ‘James Brown Gave Us In-Your-Face Black Authenticity’
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit Begins A New Chapter as Detroit Bankruptcy is Allowed to Proceed (1)
- Joyce Hayes Giles retires after 35 years with DTE (2)
- Sarah Palin accuses Obama of Libya ‘shuck and jive’ (1)
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)