Category: RTM News Reel Published on Monday, 25 June 2012 10:07 Written by News One
SEE ALSO: Woman Can’t Get Job ‘Cause She’s Muslim?
But the court said Monday that one much-debated part of the law could go forward – the portion requiring police to check the status of someone they suspect is not in the United States legally. Even there, though, the justices said the provision could be subject to additional legal challenges.
SEE ALSO:Nigerian Scams Purposely Sound Unbelievable
Want to Keep Up With NewsOne.com? LIKE Us On Facebook!
The decision upholds the “show me your papers” provision for the moment. But it takes the teeth out of it by prohibiting police officers from arresting people on minor immigration charges.
SEE ALSO:Saudis Allow Women To Compete In Olympics
Justice Kennedy wrote the opinion for the court that was unanimous on allowing the status check to go forward. The court was divided on striking down the other portions.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)
- Charlie Murphy headlines grand opening of The Comedy Zone (1)
- Gordy explains Ross relationship (3)