Category: RTM News Reel Published on Sunday, 08 July 2012 12:00 Written by News One
A four-alarm fire blazed through two Woodbridge, Virginia apartment buildings and had it not been for the heroic efforts of 11-year-old Rylton Thomas (pictured), who banged on neighbors doors to alert them, there would have been injuries or even deaths, reports ABC 7.
According to fire officials, the blaze tore through the top floor of two residential buildings. The intensity of the flames could have resulted in devastation with regards to human lives but miraculously, it didnâ€™t. Thomas, a fifth grader, says he remained calm during the chaos as he went door-to-door banging on his neighbors doors to let them know that there was a fire. The pint-sized hero also pulled alarms as well to summon nearby fire departments.
Want to Keep Up With NewsOne.com? LIKE Us On Facebook!
Dozens of the apartment residents were left homeless after the flames had been extinguished but none of them were injured and all were accounted for. It took nearly thirty minutes to even get the fire under control and five hours later there were still smoldering embers. One firefighter was taken to the hospital due to smoke inhalation.
â€śI was trying to save peopleâ€™s lives, cause some of my friends live in that building and I didnâ€™t want to see my friends go,â€ť Thomas told ABC 7.
- ^ABC 7 (www.wjla.com)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)