Category: RTM News Reel Published on Thursday, 02 August 2012 14:05 Written by News One
RELATED: Iran, Al-Qaida, Taliban Told To Pay $6B For 9/11
A crane atop the building raised the beam from the ground after dozens of people, including construction workers and police officers, added their own signatures near those of the president and first lady Michelle Obama.
“It feels really good to be a part of it,” said iron worker James Brady, part of the crew that lifted the beam. “I feel very proud to be here. I feel very lucky to be here.”
On June 14, the Obamas visited the skyscraper that’s being built to replace the twin towers destroyed by terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001. The white beam contains the words “One World Trade Center” painted in blue. Obama wrote in marker: “We remember,” “We rebuild,” and “We come back stronger!”
The signatures will no longer be visible as the beam, which is 35 feet long and weighs 11,000 pounds, is enveloped by the structure.
RELATED: Obama, Romney Push Economic Themes In Key States
“It will be, as the rest of the beams are, one that will support this building in years to come, decades to come,” said Steven Plate, head of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site.
The skyscraper, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, is expected to be completed in early 2014.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell? [Video} (2)
- Earn and Learn Program helps chronically unemployed find careers (1)
- "Hot Lap Ride" with Will Power and the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (1)