- New procedure promises to permanently change your eye color - 2013-04-12
- Governor Snyder green lights rapid bus line - 2013-04-12
- New plan announced for Detroit public schools - 2013-04-12
- Michelle Obama takes violence in Chicago 'personal' - 2013-04-11
- Wayne County judge asks Michigan court to reject suspension recommendation - 2013-04-11
Category: RTM News Reel Published on Friday, 21 September 2012 09:28 Written by News One
Brittany Lester (pictured) was sentenced on Tuesday after being convicted of child abuse charges. The photos, which were taken last August, show her then five-week-old being held inside of a toilet, sitting in a dresser drawer and in other dangerous poses.
Want to Keep Up With NewsOne.com? LIKE Us On Facebook!
The St. Petersburg Police Department learned of the photos from the infant’s father who said Lester texted him the images after he left the motel where they, along with the infant and their 3-year-old, were staying.
The 22-year-old man reportedly told cops that he had broken up with Lester, but they were trying to be civil for the sake of their children. But civility quickly faded after Lester reportedly checked the man’s phone and determined that another woman had been calling him. The man then left the motel room and began receiving the disturbing photos to his phone soon after.
The Smoking Gun has more:
Taken inside the motel room, the 13 images showed the diapered newborn in a variety of dangerous situations, according to a St. Petersburg Police Department report. For example, the child was seen squeezed between the mattress and boxspring; “lying inside a dresser drawer crying”; lying under the bed; sitting in the toilet; and inside the trash can(both sitting and upside down).
The child was not injured during Lester’s malicious photo session.
Most of the images sent by Lester were accompanied by threatening texts, though cops redacted the messages from documents released pursuant to an open records request. Police provided black and white photocopies of Lester’s photos, and placed a white box over the newborn’s face.
A police evidence photo (seen at left) shows the interior of the motel room where Lester staged the unsettling photographs.
When confronted by police officers, Lester “admitted to taking the photos. Lester advised she committed these actions to get a response” from the newborn’s father. As he received the photos, the man sent Lester a series of text messages in response, warning “I am sendid what u said 2 da police,” “Da police comein,” and “U going 2 jail.”
After Lester was arrested, her two children were put in state custody. It is not clear if the children are still with the state or with family.
- ^The Smoking Gun reports (www.thesmokinggun.com)
- ^A Year After Troy Davis: What’s Changed? (www.theroot.com)
- ^Holding On To Our Culinary Heritage (www.theroot.com)
- ^Educators Tackle Black Male Achievement (www.theroot.com)
- ^according to a St. Petersburg Police Department report (www.thesmokinggun.com)
- ^“lying inside a dresser drawer crying” (www.thesmokinggun.com)
- ^sitting in the toilet (www.thesmokinggun.com)
- ^inside the trash can (www.thesmokinggun.com)
- ^confronted by police officers (www.thesmokinggun.com)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Bamboozled: Breast Mutilation as Preventive Care? (1)
- Mike Duggan announces official run for mayor (1)
- Detroit gears up for historic March on Woodward celebration (1)
- UPDATE: Election commission decides to keep Duggan on the ballot (1)
- African Americans Must be a part of Detroit New Development Growth (1)