- Metro Detroit's Top Leaders And Newsmakers Join For Annual Legacy In Motion Gala - 2013-11-26
- Generation Next: Michigan Chronicle Celebrates 40 under 40 - 2013-10-23
- Chronicle Editor Bankole Thompson Panelist On Mayoral Debate Panel - 2013-10-07
- Michigan’s Health Insurance Marketplace Opens Today! - 2013-10-01
- Tasha Page Lockhart wins “Sunday Best” - 2013-09-03
Category: RTM News Reel Published on Monday, 22 October 2012 15:55 Written by News One
Moffitt was reportedly walking in Civitan Park in Winnsboro, La., when she was allegedly attacked by three men who were wearing “white hoodies.” While authorities have resisted calling the incident a “hate crime,” they say that Moffitt’s car was spray painted with a number of racial slurs, which were not specified at press time.
Watch news coverage of this unfortunate incident here:
Moffitt reportedly called 911 from the park at 8 p.m., after the incident, and is reportedly fighting for her life at LSU Medical Center in Shreveport, La. The young woman is in critical condition.
Kevin Cobb, Franklin Parish sheriff, told the media in a press conference this afternoon, “This is a horrific event that will not be taken lightly.”
While the race of the men has not been officially confirmed, initial reports speculated that Moffitt was set on fire by the Ku Klux Klan, because she was wearing a President Barack Obama shirt. Monday afternoon, various media reports dispelled the Obama T-shirt rumor, but have not recanted that the men did indeed have white hoodies on during the attack.
The FBI and Louisiana’s fire Marshall’s office are investigating.
NewsOne will keep you updated on this story as more details surface.
Want to Keep Up With NewsOne.com? LIKE Us On Facebook!
- ^according to KLTV (www.kltv.com)
- ^Permalink to: Homeless South Carolina Man Win’s $200,000 Lottery! (newsone.com)
- ^EXECUTED AT 14: Black Boy’s Ordeal With Racist Justice System Reminds Us Death Penalty Must End (newsone.com)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!
- Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy, pension cuts (2)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network among lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s ACA health insurance marketplace (1)
- WIGS 4 KIDS HOSTS TENTH ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING GALA (6)
- Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ (2)
- Why France’s lens is focused on Detroit (1)