- Berry Gordy: The man, the music, the legacy, from Chronicle paperboy to international music mogul - 2013-12-05
- Metro Detroit's Top Leaders And Newsmakers Join For Annual Legacy In Motion Gala - 2013-11-26
- Generation Next: Michigan Chronicle Celebrates 40 under 40 - 2013-10-23
- Chronicle Editor Bankole Thompson Panelist On Mayoral Debate Panel - 2013-10-07
- Michigan’s Health Insurance Marketplace Opens Today! - 2013-10-01
Category: RTM News Reel Published on Monday, 28 January 2013 08:00 Written by Dareh Gregorian, NY Daily News
Jovan Belcher's Long Island mother is close to taking control of her football star son’s big-bucks estate.
Belcher — the Kansas City Chiefs linebacker who killed his girlfriend and then himself during a horrific booze-fueled meltdown last month — left behind a baby daughter and a sizable fortune.
Belcher died without a will, so his mother, Cheryl Shepard of West Babylon, has asked a Missouri court for custody of baby Zoey, and to be named administrator of Belcher’s estate.
She got closer to the second goal at a Friday hearing, when a Jackson County commissioner granted her petition to become administrator, pending her obtaining a $1 million surety bond to make sure the estate is protected.
Four-month-old Zoey is believed to be living with relatives of her slain mom, Kasandra Perkins, in Texas.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the Michigan Chronicle Digital Daily newsletter!